Sunday, May 27, 2007

The beginning...

I imagine this will be a place for me to think out loud regarding the 2008 election, among other things. I am decidedly republican and this blog will reflect that. Sometimes I travel outside the current GOP boundaries; however, I believe all of my positions lie with true conservatism. Sometimes I find that I am more moderate but then I get a whiff of a democrat. The whiny, pessimistic, no idea, blame America first, spineless, tax and spend, short-sighted, welfare state wanting democrats such as Harry Reid or Nancy Pelosi put me back in my place further on the right.

I am from south Mississippi but lived in central Pennsylvania until I went off to college at Mississippi State University. So, it is easy to see part of the reason that I am conservative. But, I was not raised in a political household. My mother won’t talk about politics nor does she bother with knowing about such things. My father is cynical and generally thinks things are pretty much too far gone for us to do anything about. But, he votes Republican because of the qualities most democrats possess (mentioned above).

One kink in all of this is that I do not believe in the Abrahamic god in which most American’s believe. I was not raised in a religious household so I didn’t even really know what religion was until I was old enough to know for myself. At that point it all sounded like stuff out of science fiction novels. I do not hide this or make qualms about it. I hold my conservative values because I choose to do so not because a book or religion tells me to do so.

I do believe there is a cultural war going on. But, it is not merely a war against religion by secular progressives as Bill O’Reilly purports. Although there is some over-the-top stuff such as the attempt to take the Christmas tree out of schools and the like. It is also a war against science by mere faith. It is war against science by a book written by people thousands of years ago who heard or saw things they couldn’t explain, tried to explain them, then had their book translated, translated more, interpreted, and interpreted even more which gives us what we have today. None of this holds my attention though. My attention is focused on the true religious problem we face: radical Islam.

I do believe that science will take care of any religious problems we have in America. As younger generations are exposed to more and more ideas as they grow up via the internet and science continues to answer our questions, the epidemic of religion by default with slow to a crawl. It disturbs me that children grow up to believe in the particular God and religion in which they are raised. It has a sinister tone to me.

One of my favorite lines by Richard Dawkins reads something like “we are all atheists in that we do not believe in the god’s Ra or Zeus; I just go one God further.”

Nevertheless, this blog will not be about my religion or lack thereof. It will be about my unique perspective as a twentysomething conservative atheist, who attends business school and works to stay afloat.

No comments: